With Easter upon us, what a great way to celebrate this time of year and continue the tradition of egg dyeing with making your own dyes! Yes, you can make your own dyes with ingredients found in your kitchen or local market. This is a fun and easy project that you and your little ones can enjoy.
Egg Color Cheat Sheet:
- Red/Pink – beets
- Orange – yellow onion skins
- Yellow- turmeric
- Blue – red/purple cabbage
- Blue/Purple- blueberries
- Rust – red onion skins
Step 1: Ingredients
- Chopped beets
- Yellow onion skin
- Turmeric (add to boiling water)
- Red/Purple cabbage
- Blueberries (skip vinegar)
- White vinegar
Step 2: Making the Dye
- Combine one quart of water and two tablespoons white vinegar in a medium pot.
- Bring water to a boil and add your dye ingredients (do this process separately for each ingredient).
- Once boiling, lower heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Let it cool.
4. Strain dye into glass jars before adding the eggs.
5. Let eggs soak for at least 30 minutes or for a brighter color, let it soak longer.
6. Remove eggs with tongs and gently pat dry.
- Colors vary depending on soaking time.
- The flavor off the egg may change based on the dye, so keep that in mind if you plan on eating them.